Welcome to American Horse School
Latest Updates – INFORMATION UPDATED 05/03/2016
It is with a very heavy and sad heart we announce the passing of the President of American Horse School Board, Mr. Albert Sharp. Mr. Sharp has served on the American Horse School Board and as the President for the Board for the past fifteen years. His undying dedication and loyalty to the students of AHS has defined the school, staff, students and parents as one of the top K-8 education entities on the Pine Ridge Reservation. Our deepest sympathy goes out to his wife Lola, sons, Justin (Cassandra) & Brad/Buzz and his two grandchildren Laylah and Tanner. Albert will be sorely missed by the school, but even more so by the Pass Creek District, where he served his Lakota people for the past twenty years. Mr. Sharp will be brought home to American Horse School, which he attended from K-8th grade and served as President of the School Board for over fifteen years on the 5th of May @ 10:00 am. All services for Albert will be at the school and officiated by Father Rick Abert. There will a one night wake with the Rosary being prayed at 7:00 pm on Thursday the 5th of May and funeral services on the 6th of May at 10:00 am. Burial will be in the Sharp family cemetery, above the beloved home of his parents and his and Lola’s home with their children and grandchildren.
We also want to send our condolences to the Makes Good and Fast Wolfs family in the loss of Irene (Pee Wee) Makes Good Fast Wolf’s brother Pastor Daniel Makes Good. There will be a two night wake at the Episcopal Church beginning the 5th of May, with burial in the Pass Creek Episcopal Cemetery which will be officiated by the Episcopal Bishop on the 7th of May.
Just want to remind everyone that Mr. Sharp’s wake will begin tomorrow morning at 10:00 am, when his body is brought back to AHS for his one night wake, funeral is Friday the 6th of May at 10:00 am at the school. In respect to Mr. Sharp, who has served as President of the American Horse School Board for the past fifteen years, we will move all of our graduation ceremonies to the week of 9th of May.
In order to get the gym decorated in time, Kindergarten graduation will now be at 10:00 am on Tuesday the 10th of May, the 8th Grade banquet which is by invitation only by an 8th grade student is now the 13th (NOT THE 12TH) of May, again in order for us to have time to get the gym decorated and graduation for the 8th graders stays the same, the 13th of May at 10:00 am (a note that was sent home yesterday with the Kindergarten/FACE students had a typing error saying the 6th of May, but it is still the same as always the 13th). Please come to the school on Thursday or Friday to pay your respects to Mr. Albert Sharp for all he has done for our community, school, students, staffs and families. Dr. Gloria J Coats-Kitsopoulos
- 4th May- Academic Awards and Accelerated Reading Awards Assembly 1st-7th grade @ 1:00 in gym
- 4th May Last Day of School for Kindergarten Students
- 5th & 6th of May- NO SCHOOL- Mr. Albert Sharp’s Funeral @ AHS
- 6th May- Teca Wacipi Okolakiciye Finals–Porcupine, leave from the Allen CAP at 10:45 am.
- 9th May- 8th Grade Lakota Naming Ceremony in gym @ 10:30 with Steve Dubray, parents are invited
- 10th May- Kindergarten Graduation in gym @ 10:00 am, lunch to follow, Parents bring their graduates to school by 9:30 am.
- 11th May- FACE Center –Based Fun/Parent’s Day(parents ride bus to school with their students); field & track events @ AHS football field; breakfast & lunch served to participants
- 11th May- Last day of school for 2015-2016 School Year for 1st– 8th grades; early dismissal @ 1:30 pm
- 12th May-8th grade Banquet in gym by invitation only by 8th grade student
- 13th May- AHS 2016 8th Grade Graduation in gym @ 10:00 am, Parents bring your graduates to school by 9:30 am
- 16th May – AHS Staff Appreciation @ 12:00 pm in the Common Area